Friday 30 November 2018

William McLeod Part E Hillside


Whakapuni to Hillside


William and Barbara raised their six sons and two daughters at Whakapuni. In 1888 they purchased the Hillside property from Hon John Martin and retired there.

William and Barbara built this lovely house on their property at Hillside, only three miles from Martinborough. The house is now lived in by descendants of William and Barbara.





John, the eldest son, and James retained the Whakapuni property, 
The other sons all acquired properties of their own:
Alexander (Maugapari)
Robert (Rauwaka)
Murdoch (Haurangi & Hillside)
Farquhar (Putiki Hautotara and The Island)
Robert came to live in Martinborough when he purchased the James Orr estate. 
Christina came to live in Daniel Street after the death of her father at Hillside. 
Daughter Barbara died at Hillside in 1908.


The family album:

John McLeod (1868 - 1941)
Married: 1895, Elizabeth McKay (1864 – 1946)

From left, Jean, Elizabeth, William, Annie, James on grass,
John, Farquhar on knee, Margaret

Murdoch McLeod (1869 – 1960)
Married: Mary McDonald (1876 – 1947)


Mary and Murdoch McLeod

 Christina Catherine McLeod (1871 – 1957)

Alexander Donald McLeod (1872 – 1938)
Married: 1897, Mary Isabella McLeod (1873 – 1957)

Top right: Farquhar, Bottom left: Murdoch, Bottom right: A. Donald

Mary and Robert

Alexander Donald McLeod was a Reform Party Member of Parliament in the Wairarapa region. He was Minister of Lands (1924 – 1928) and Industries and Commerce (1926 –1928) in the Reform Government.

A. D. McLeod
James McLeod (1874 – 1954)
   
Barbara McLeod (1875 – 1908)

William & Barbara McLeod, Christina, Robert, seated Farquhar, Barbara

Robert McLeod (1878 – 1954)
Married: 1906, Christina Jessie McDonald (1877 – 1954)

Farquhar McLeod (1880 – 1960)
Married: Janet Elizabeth Pain (1884 - ?)

Janet and Farquhar McLeod aka Janie and Farrie

William passed away in 1918 aged 88. Barbara died in 1902 aged 65 years. 


William and Barbara McLeod. Waihenga Cemetery, Martinborough
Source: Old photos courtesy of Mary Doyle album

9 comments:

  1. nice to see a ancestor of mine, Jane Pain. Regards Murray Pain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes she looks beautiful. Glad you have had a read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some early Mcleod photo's, Janes father was my Great Great Uncle John and his brother George who started off Pain and Kershaw in 1873.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see any old McLeod photos. Email me to farrmcleod@gmail.com and I will reply. I actually write under a nom-de-plume. I live in New Zealand. Regards

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful blog James Alexander Mcleod (Ian or JA) was my Grandfather. Fantastic see learn more about my paternal family. Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, firstly this is a great Blog! I have a small correction to your description of the house built by William & Barbara. That house is also a McLeod House, but not 'hillside'. This house is a stone throw away & built by Murdoch McLeod son of William & Barbara. The photo across the lawn to the small gate & the wool-shed is in fact at 'Hillside' built by William & Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very curious where you got these photos from?
    Cheers
    Molly Doyle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Molly. I am pleased to hear from you. I write under a nom-de-plume so I am Christina Baldwin living in New Zealand. I met you some years ago when you very kindly let me scan some photos from your old album. The photos of Hillside I took myself. A family member took me there but I can't recall who it was. It might have been you! Other photos have been sent to me by various people over the years. Someone told me I had some data wrong about Hillside but when I asked them to send me correct information I never heard back. I understand my great grandparents Alexander and Janet McLeod lived at Hillside for a short while when they first arrived in New Zealand. Best regards Christina Baldwin aka Farr McLeod

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Molly. I am pleased to hear from you. I write under a nom-de-plume so I am Christina Baldwin living in New Zealand. I met you some years ago when you very kindly let me scan some photos from your old album. The photos of Hillside I took myself. A family member took me there but I can't recall who it was. It might have been you! Other photos have been sent to me by various people over the years. Someone told me I had some data wrong about Hillside but when I asked them to send me correct information I never heard back. I understand my great grandparents Alexander and Janet McLeod lived at Hillside for a short while when they first arrived in New Zealand. Best regards Christina Baldwin aka Farr McLeod

    ReplyDelete